Saturday, August 21

HoW Packing

Don't get me wrong, I am getting pretty excited about the trip, but there is one thing looming in the way of me enjoying the anticipation... Apart from my work wondering if I can fly to Detroit for a meeting on 30/31 August, come back to Germany on 1st, and then I would have to turn around & fly back over the Atlantic the following day.  
No, it's not that that frets me, it's packing.  I hate packing.  Ideally I would just pick up the things below (maybe for this trip, my camera & laptop too, and a few essential books for the journey, stuff them in my hand luggage, and when I arrived at the hotel, magically, the things I would want to wear would be in the wardrobe (whether I possess them now or not!), and favourite and familiar toiletries would be in the bathroom.


I often end up packing, not the night before, but the morning of the travel itself.  I reason that you're going to forget something you want anyway, and I've never forgotten anything important... you can always buy toothpaste, contact lens solution, clean knickers etc.  I once left my driving license in Chicago O'Hare airport, at the check in desk, only discovering that it was missing when I tried to hire a car in Atlanta... but that's another story.
I guess I don't like depriving myself of things by putting them in the suitcase too early.  I might want to wear that t-shirt one more time before I go.  My organisation ahead of trips is usually just about sufficient enough to ensure that all the clothes I might want are washed by the night before so they are mostly dry by the time I shut the case.  And even more deprivation with books, not being able to pick up and read that one, because it is in "the pile".  I have planned well this time though, with my recent trip to the UK I have around ten unread ones, not counting the four I plan to take with me.
And my "last minute things" bag which is basically toiletries... but now I am wondering... should I put nail varnish in?

1 comment:

  1. Having lived in below-sea-level New Orleans in the hot months, I have a few packing suggestions. They include light-weight, breathable fabrics, antiperspirant, good walking shoes and alcohol hand/face wipes. I would not say Labour Day will be as hot as, say, Delhi. But the humidity might be close. Oh, and a small collapsible umbrella. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete